Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Needed: Inspiration



Maybe it's the changing of the seasons, but we've been exhausted. Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the seasons, and everything to do with Shira waking up around 4:00 am and not going back to sleep. I'm feeling a bit like a zombie again. Oh, babies, when will you learn that sleep is the most glorious of pastimes? When I ask Shira that question she points to her bright red teething cheeks and tells me to blame the molars. Or at least she would like to tell me that, but her teeth hurt too much to speak. Plus, she's really tired, so could I stop bugging her?

So we're tired, but that nothing new, really. Mostly I think I'm just in need of a little inspiration. I'm feeling a bit discouraged on the job front (and I can't seem to stop talking about it) and some days it just really gets to me. I've had a few opportunities waved in front of me lately, and when they don't follow through with anything it can be hard not to feel very disappointed. One piece of good news is that Matt's immigration application is now "under review" instead of "received," according to the online status tracker, and that seems like progress, right?

I'm not sure what form my inspiration will take. I've been working a lot with my hands this week, trying desperately to finish the blanket for Shira (this time I mean it when I say it's almost done) and I painted the table in our living room that I've been meaning to do for eight weeks a little while now. I'm naturally feeling a bit restless and for me that translates to wanting everything around me to be as organized as possible (inner-chaos helped by less outer-chaos). For example, I can't seem to get the kitchen right since we moved in. I haven't found the right place for everything that conforms to the competing needs of space/convenience/where Shira's tiny hands can't reach it. Between all the time I spend cooking and baking, and the fact that the kitchen is the place where all naturally congregate, an organized kitchen makes a big difference. At least to me, it does.

So this week is about finding some inspiration. Maybe we can all pass some along to one another. Here are a few things that have gotten me thinking over the past week, poking me in the brain to get thinking about new things instead of only complaining about my lack of career. Enjoy!

I've been taunted all week by these excellent guides to New York City over at Cup of Jo. Man, I need to spend more time in that city.

I have no business taking on another project right now, but you can't blame me for wanting to make this tent for The Children.

In other news, I'd like to make this salad. I've never even eaten a tortilla salad, but it looks delicious. Speaking of things I've never tried, M. Bloom has me wanting figs in a serious way, over at We Bloom Here.

Let the inspiration flow!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I just posted about getting my kitchen in order. I'm so overwhelmed with the prep it's going to take to paint it, that I'm just starting by a major purge. Did you see that tent on my board at Pinterest? Isn't it awesome? I love it. Perfect use for a vintage bedsheet!
    Oh, that sleeping babe...she looks exhausted, which I know means you are, too. Don't you hate when people say your kids look tired, kind of accusingly...like YOU'RE not letting them get enough rest?? As if.
    I've just not felt like being online much these days. So, so busy. Thanks for your note and query. Everything is fine here....just trying to remember my "real" life for awhile...take care.

    ReplyDelete