Monday, December 27, 2010

An Important Introduction

I have a very special introduction to make.


I am very excited to announce that I am now the proud owner of my very own, shiny, fantastic sewing machine. As usual, I have been very spoiled by my mum. Thanks, mum. Now, to be clear, I don't really know how to use a sewing machine, but I'm not letting that stand in my way. My mum showed me how to thread the bobbin, the needle, and how to turn the power on. I'm all set!

I'm actually lined up to take a couple of sewing classes at here, so I'm hoping to learn a bit more. What's my sewing dream? I'd like to make some clothes for myself and the girls, maybe some curtains, maybe even a quilt (gasp)! I don't quite understand the evolution of it all, but it seems that finally making the decision to leave my Phd has unleashed my inner craft. I have been drawn to working with my hands, maybe in response to all those years working inside my head and arguing on paper. Whatever it is, I'm loving it.

I discovered my first project on The Purl Bee:

These barrettes are exceptionally cute, and the are modeled here by my Shira and our good friend Scarlet. Once I got used the feel of the felt, they didn't take long at all--maybe 30 minutes per barrette. I've been making them here at my mum's so it's hard to gauge how long they take amidst the coffee drinking, treat eating, the celebrity gossip and chasing after grandchildren.

Any suggestions for a good craft blog? I've found a few great ones (see reading list), but I'm sure these are the just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment