Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Back to work


This is what happens when I leave the three of them at home while I go out and work. I kid you not, The Children were stained blue and green for days. This is not, I repeat, not body paint. This photo was sent to my phone midway through the day, taunting me to come home and join them.

Today I'm starting a new job. It's not the job, but a temp job that will get me started for the time being. I will be working in my first real office job. My friend Kaylie tells me that the reason I've never liked The Office, in spite of loving Steve Carrell, is that I have no experience dealing with the personalities of an actual office. Most of my working life has been spent in a classroom or library. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

I have actually been working for two weeks at another job, but I didn't dare mention it here for fear that I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from complaining about it on the internet and maybe jeopardizing my position. I was working at a very large bookstore chain because it was the only call I received in four months and over fifty applications. We needed the income and I hoped that finding a job might be easier if I already had one (as the saying goes), and it turns out that I was right. So I'm trading my career as a bookseller for an office chair. We do what we need to.

I'll share some details later, but right now I need to shower, get dressed, cry over leaving my babies, and then get to work for my first day.

P.S. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the supportive comments on my post yesterday. I felt a bit naked sharing all that, but I know it was worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Loved yesterday's post.
    Oh my goodness. I know the paint you're talking about. And kids look like smurfs when they're painted in it. Love the freedom your husband (I assume) gave your girls...you know they're in good hands! And just plug along...you'll move from job to job until you find just the right one! Congratulations! Are you going to dress like that redhead from Mad Men?? Bet you'd get promoted pretty damn fast! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww ha ha ha they look like they had a blast!
    -lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, are you sure Matt wasn't calling you out of horror? I mean who's cleaning that up? Hahahahahahahahahahaha good on him, hes way braver then me!
    Good luck today! I got an equally shite job that doesn't really pay the bills but I need to get put of this house! Lol. Thinking of you alllllll day
    Grandma kake

    ReplyDelete