Saturday, January 22, 2011

Enough About Sleep Already, Sort of

Last night, our tiny sleep tyrant only woke up...wait for it...ONE TIME through the entire night! She went to bed around 6:30, woke up around 8:00 and cried for five minutes, and then didn't wake up again until 2:45 to nurse. She then went back to sleep until 6:00. Can everyone hear the angels singing? I was so delighted to wake up at 2:45 full of milk. It's been a long time since Shira's given me the chance to be engorged. Yes, nursing mothers, you heard me right: I was excited to be engorged and slightly uncomfortable. I have big hopes for tonight.


Moving on.


Here is where I found myself online this week:


I made this for dessert, from Ina Garten's Back to Basics. I don't think I've ever liked chocolate more than I did that night. In an effort not to eat the entire thing (notice the two sticks of butter in the recipe, which you absolutely cannot skimp on), we stuck the leftovers in the freezer for next Shabbat. I'm not sure how well it will fare in the freezer, but our cholesterol levels required it. I'm fairly confident that nothing could make this taste bad. Now go buy eggs, butter and sugar and make this. Thanks for the cookbook, mum!



I want to try this recipe for fish tagine. I'm always looking for fish recipes since we don't eat meat in our house, but we do eat fish and I know about four recipes for cooking fish (and my favourite is Molly Wizenburg's recipe for sole meuniere in Bon Appetit). My friend, Dani, recommended that I visit Big Girls Small Kitchen for cooking inspiration, and so far I've been very impressed. The only downside is the use of language such as 'the Rents' when referring to their parents, and now I feel very, very old.


Finally, Matt passed along this post from one of his favourite sports writers. Matt reads roughly one billion sports blogs every day (I'm only exaggerating by a little) and I'm lucky he only forwards me the good ones. This one made me a bit weepy (the good kind), because I saw Matt with an older Alyce and Shira in this piece, adoring them in all their glory and my little ponies. It was one of the sweetest perspectives on parenting that I've read.


Hope it was a good day for everyone! May tonight be filled with lots of sleeping, mostly at my house.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure this is the response you're going for, but I'm getting a kick out of your sleep(less) chronicles. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that last night was the beginning of a beautiful new trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jess. I don't mind some entertainment coming from her no-sleeping, though I'd rather have sleep!

    Your new place looks incredible! Good luck with all the moving.

    ReplyDelete