Monday, September 7, 2015

It's Monday!



You guys, we made it! Today is the last day of summer vacation. High fives to all of you who have, like me, felt a bit overwhelmed by what felt like the longest summer vacation in the history of summers. I haven't written much about it here because I feel like the girls are getting older now and don't need all of their stories told here by me on the internet, but let's just say that there have been some behavioral issues that have made for some very long days together. The routine of school will be a very good thing!

How did you spend your last week of summer? We ate (more) ice cream, enjoyed a day at the Toronto Islands, and visited with my mum in her very air conditioned house (this heat wave can leave anytime now).

For me this week is about resetting. I can feel my shoulders relaxing and my motivation rising. I'm busy right now, working regularly as a doula and preparing to teach the next session of my university course, but it will become all the more manageable starting tomorrow. I know I've said it before and I know I'll say it again, but as much as I fight it sometimes with my procrastinating habits, I need routine in my life. I'm so excited to develop some new structure in my world again.

My to do list this week:

  • It's a tradition in our house to have oatmeal chocolate chip pancakes on the first day of school, so I'll need to make the necessary preparations for those tonight (I use these oatmeal pancakes as inspiration). 
 
  • I have a coffee date with some friends IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY. (Sorry, I got excited there).
 
  • I'm really looking forward to blogging more regularly about all the new goals, practices, and habits I'm working on, and so I'm working this week on some planning and trying to develop an editorial calendar.
 
  • Rosh Hashanah is coming up in a week and there is so much to be done in preparation! We will be celebrating with some good friends and I am responsible for challah, salad, and dessert. I'll be making our dessert gluten-free, so I'll be spending some time looking for new recipes. It's traditional to eat apples on Rosh Hashanah and I'm thinking of making an apple crisp instead of the usual apple cake. And since the children don't enjoy apple desserts, there will also be brownies of some description. 
 
  • Walking three days this week. In my fancy new shoes. It was my goal to walk always in the morning, because I love starting my day with exercise, but since I'm working a few overnight shifts this week that doesn't work out well. So an afternoon walk it is.

  •  Reflecting on how I want to structure my days in such a way that will support some of these habits I'm working on.
 

Do you have any suggestions about how to add structure to your days? What routines do you rely on?  

Be well!
xo

P.S. Happy first day of school to all my student midwife friends starting back tomorrow. I'll miss you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment