Tuesday, June 12, 2012

4:36 am


So we're all a bit tired.

Remember that thing I wrote yesterday about not getting too worried about tough transitions because it will all settle down into normal before you know it? Well, good for me, but I'm tired and wondering if I'll ever feel rested again. Shira has been getting up extra early, even for her, and I don't think it has anything to do with their new sleeping arrangements. For some ungodly reason Shira still likes to start the day at 5:00 am, or today, 4:36 am. And there are a few downsides to their room-sharing, and one of those is that sometimes Alyce is waking up way too early for her sleep needs, like yesterday when she woke up at 5:15 am, probably startled by Shira's early wake-up call. Not cool, Shira.  (I should also mention that I'm only working on a sample size of two nights, so my data is meaningless.)

Shira would like to chime in here and remind me that she didn't force me to stay up until 11:00 pm last night. And I would like to remind her that she doesn't contribute financially to our family income and someone has to stay up and grade papers and respond to student emails. And then she would like to remind me that isn't she adorable? And then I would like to remind her that six in the morning is an amazingly wonderful time to wake up, and now I'll cover you in kisses because you are so darn adorable.

All that matters is that eventually sharing a room will be their normal and they will (let's hope) figure out how to get the sleep they need. But for today, right now, we're zombies. Alyce is being impatient with me, I'm being impatient with Alyce, and Shira is actually walking into furniture. It's one of those days when I start counting the hours until bedtime, and when said bedtime is in the works to be bumped up a couple of hours. There is a good chance that Shira is in bed by five o'clock today. I'm just saying.

How are you feeling today?

No comments:

Post a Comment