Monday, February 6, 2012

Scenes from my weekend (and some missing scenes)

 

This weekend was a good kind of busy. By Friday night the entire house was ready for exhausted, though my mum and stepfather did find the energy to pack for the holiday they were leaving for the next morning. Did you catch that? We have my mum's house all to ourselves for an entire week!* 

Don't even get me started on all the things that are going down this week in honour of our new found freedom. All I will say for now is that I kicked off their holiday by inviting eight friends over for dinner yesterday. It was the second meeting for our cookbook club, and I'll tell you all about it in a few days. I should at the very least offer you some photos from our amazing afternoon of cooking, eating, and talking with our mouths full, but I didn't get any photos! I was too busy ensuring there were enough forks for everyone and that I didn't burn the toasted baguettes again (I did, by the way, burn them). I'll give you the details soon, and maybe my friend Amanda will share a few photos with me to share with you here.

The rest of our weekend was made up of much smaller events, though just as important. Alyce and I started making her valentines for class next week (and no one is more surprised than me that I got this process started almost two weeks before the big day). There were baths, drawing sessions, and not enough naps. (Speaking of naps, I need this card.) But one of my favourite things about the weekend was taking Alyce to see her first 3D movie. There is nothing like sitting next to your favourite four year old, popcorn and smarties balanced on her lap, oversized glasses on her face, to brighten your day. She has seen Beauty and the Beast at least a dozen times at home, but this was special. My favourite part was watching her reach out her hands in front of her, trying to catch the images that flew in front of her face. No wait, my favourite part was listening to her belt out the songs mid-movie. I was prepared to make a scene if someone asked her to stop singing. No one did, obviously, because what kind of monster would step on the joy of a little girl singing about true love?

Hope your weekend was filled with events, big and small. Any suggestions for how we should celebrate our much emptier house?

*Don't get me wrong. We love them. But sometimes things feel just a bit crowded. You understand.

1 comment:

  1. Cookbook club....that sounds *very* interesting....do tell!!

    ReplyDelete