Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ten things about Matt, on Father's Day

Lately it seems that it's all Matt, all the time, around here. It's pretty obvious that I miss my husband (I've never been good at subtle). Teaching in Poland for five weeks sounded lovely when he was offered the job, but now I just want him back. In honour of Father's Day, and in honour of me missing him, here is a Matt list.

1. On an almost daily basis Matt will sing any song in the voice of either Eddie Vedder or Sean Connery. Oh yes, I'm that lucky.

2. Matt does more laundry than anyone else I know, but couldn't fold a pair of pants properly if his life depended on it. Fortunately, his life will probably never hang in the balance over a pair of pants.

3. One of the times that I love Matt the most is when he sits back and allows Alyce to boss him around. He gets this look on his face, as though he were annoyed by the inconvenience of having his hair dressed with purple sparkly barrettes, but it's obvious that he wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

4. Except for maybe at a Final Four game. The man loses his mind over NCAA.

5. He also likes to snuggle up in bed with his beloved copy of baseball statistics. He likes to make notes in the margins, you know, for his fantasy baseball league(s).

6. Nothing makes Matt laugh harder than The Children.

7. When Matt was little he buried his father's tools in the backyard (or maybe it was his records) for no reason at all.

8. He loves public radio*.

9. One of my favourite things about him is that he lets people be who they are. I wish I could be more like him in this way, especially on those days when I become preoccupied with all those little details about the world that are driving me crazy.

10.  Last month Matt turned 35, and I forgot. There you go, Matty, I told the internet. Also, I'm sorry I forgot. I could try to make excuses, like that it was the day of the move from Delaware and that we had just finished giving away almost all of our possessions in a twenty-four period, but that doesn't really matter. Birthdays trump everything, and I'll make it up to you next year.

*I might have stretched the truth a little bit with #8.

P.S. Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment