Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ten Things About My Week


1. There is very little I enjoy more than a girl committed to her personal style. This ensemble took Alyce to the library.

2. I do not enjoy writing my resume. What is it about people (ok, me) that makes this kind of work so completing irritating? I could feel exhilarated by new opportunities instead of being annoyed, but I'm finding it so painful trying to describe how my hundred years in graduate school make me qualified for other work. And I can't seem to find the right place to include my three years studying Sanskrit and Tibetan. Or that first chapter of my dissertation. I'm sure I'm the first person in the history of employment to say this, but why can't someone just give me the perfect job already?

3. I'm a big sister but I didn't end up that way until I was twenty-six. This means that I'm completely clueless when it comes to growing up with siblings and I'm having to learn right alongside Alyce and Shira as they figure this stuff out. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I do know that I have said "gentle hands, Alyce" roughly 5,786 times this week alone. We've also instituted a new family rule about hands around other people's necks. But we've also had moments like this one:


Shira might not have necessarily consented to a morning playing dress-up in summer clothes, but she's not screaming (and, the rolls). And Alyce seems to be enjoying her new role as stylist.

4. Grown-up dinners with good girlfriends are the absolute best way to get over a long week. There was wine, good food, no children, and did I mention no children?  Next time I might even wear my big-girl bra and leave the nursing tank at home. Thanks, Dani, for a much-needed night out. (We had so much fun that I forgot to order take-out for Matt before the kitchen closed. Sorry about that, Matty.)

5. I've had a hard time keeping Shira in clothes this week. Because, the rolls.

6. I'm in the middle of a losing battle against sugar. I have found myself completely addicted to it and my addiction might be worthy of a period of rehabilitation, or maybe even an intervention-type reality show, but then I would be exposed for the addict I truly am, and I'd probably have to stop eating sugar. Which I can't do because it is so delicious. I blame, in part, my new Kitchen Aid mixer for being such a damn fine baking partner. And the internet, for enabling my search for new and delightful things to bake. Like this bread.

7. I have thrown myself into some big knitting plans for the summer with the recent purchase of this book and this one. I'm thinking that knitting all summer will 1) help me pass the time* while Matt is traipsing around Europe with his study abroad students, and 2) result in clothes ready to wear when winter begins in a very, very, very long time from now. Do you hear that, winter? In a very, very, very long time.

8. Matt took the girls to the park while I had a nap. Enough said.

9.  Speaking of Matt, he is currently preoccupied with a ongoing trade (involving Adam Dunn, Marco Scutaro, Hiroki Kuroda for Travis Snider, Madison Bumgarner, a second round pick, and salary relief) in one of his two fantasy baseball leagues. To this point the trade has involved thirty emails. I'll be sure to keep you all posted. UPDATE: trade accepted. Everyone can breathe again.

10.  Shira slept well for another week. This still qualifies as news.


*Because I will have so much free time on my hands after looking after the girls, looking after the cats, looking for a new career, and finding a new place to live.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh... yes, the rolls of pink, naked chub! Love it! My Wee Bloom has rolls equal to your Shira... so delicious!

    MB

    P.S. Chag Sameach to you, too!

    ReplyDelete