Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Room



I don't want to be bossy or anything (because that would be so outside of character for me), but you should all go out today, find a copy of the book Room, and then empty your calendar for a day or two. You won't regret it.
 
I started the book about a month ago and then put it down (silly me). I found it hard to get used to the narrator's five-year-old voice and I thought it might get in the way of the story. I was very, very wrong. Once I finally picked it back up (with thanks to my new favourite toy) I devoured the rest of the book in two days. The book tells the story of a young woman, kidnapped at nineteen, and her son, born in captivity. And the incredible thing about the book (well, one of them) is that the kidnapper plays virtually no role in the story. I repeat: this is not a gruesome "let's describe every violation imaginable that we can do to women and children" story (I'm looking at you, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Instead this is a story about a little boy who loves his Ma and the world she is able to create for him. You know how you sometimes hear those stories about mothers who lift cars off the ground or fight tigers in order to save their children? It's that kind of story.

Ok, get moving. And then can you come back and tell me what you thought of the book?

Image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment